A Brutal Attack in Resistencia
On Sunday, August 2, 2026, Matías Julián Álvarez Guardia (29 years old) was rushed to the Julio C. Perrando Hospital in Resistencia, the capital of Chaco province in northern Argentina. He had a deep knife wound to the neck that severed vital arteries and veins, causing cardiac arrest and his death.
His girlfriend, Victoria Luz Cantero (25), was arrested and charged with aggravated homicide due to the relationship (homicidio agravado por el vínculo), one of the most serious charges under Argentine criminal law. According to prosecutor Ana González de Pacce, Cantero arrived at the hospital in a highly agitated state with blood on her hands. She reportedly told a hospital police officer: “We had a couple’s fight and I defended myself.”
Key Witness and the Seized Weapon
The case reconstruction includes testimony from Cantero’s brother, Facundo Cantero, who was also a friend of the victim and drove him to the hospital. He stated that around 6:00 a.m. he received a call and heard his sister shouting “You broke my cell phone!” during an argument. Neighbors living across the street also reported hearing screams and a violent fight at the same time.
At the crime scene, investigators seized a black-handled Tramontina knife, which will undergo forensic analysis to confirm it as the murder weapon.
Victimology: Harrowing Chats and Audio Messages
The investigation uncovered a history of constant abuse that lasted the couple’s two-and-a-half-year relationship. According to Infobae, Álvarez Guardia had sent audio messages to friends describing Cantero’s attacks. In one, he recounted how she had hit him, destroyed his truck, and knocked over his two motorcycles: “The truck is the least of it. It’s everything she hit me with,” he reflected sadly.
Matías also described the tight control Cantero exerted over his phone and social media. He said she changed his profile picture to one of them together without his permission. The violence became so severe that he consulted a professional. In an audio message, he admitted: “I went to the psychologist and even he told me to get out of there. That I’m not to blame for anything, and look how it ended.”
The victim hid his bruises, even canceling outings with friends to avoid showing marks on his eyes. “I wish it had been different. Now I think there’s no turning back,” he told a friend shortly before his death.
Previous Violence and a Request to Remove the Prosecutor
The prosecutor confirmed a prior incident: in November 2025, Matías had filed a complaint against Cantero, but the case was archived because he did not pursue it. There are no previous complaints of gender-based violence filed by the accused against the victim.
Now, the victim’s family, represented by lawyer Juan Arregin, has announced they will request the removal of prosecutor González de Pacce. Arregin argues that the prosecutor lost objectivity by describing the incident as a “fight” during a press conference, a term that could favor Cantero’s defense in a future jury trial. He maintains it was a treacherous attack, as no defensive wounds were found on the victim.
Next Steps in the Investigation
The prosecution is analyzing footage from security cameras located outside the home, inside the residence, and at a neighboring property to reconstruct the events. They are also awaiting the results of the final autopsy and toxicology tests.
The family has advised against cremating Matías’s body in case a second autopsy or further forensic studies are needed, and they are demanding a swift investigation to ensure justice for the 29-year-old.
Sources: Infobae, TN, Diario Norte.